So then... just why are you STILL single? 10 ways to answer
It's summer time.
Which often means seeing a LOT of your family and family time can often be awkward af.
Case-in-point being when they ask you why you're still single. Save us.
Sure, most of the time you probably get asked this little gem by well-meaning relatives who are concerned about your solitary status and probably want you to start popping out the nieces, nephews and grandkids as quickly as possible.
And sometimes, randomers just decide to ask you for whatever reason.
We’re not going to lie, it can be a difficult question to answer. So how exactly should you respond? Here are ten of our favourite answers...
So, WHY are you still single?
1. Why am I single? Eh, why are YOU single?!
Answering a question with another question will immediately diffuse an otherwise uncomfortable situation. This response will throw your inquisitor off their guard and leave them pondering it as you walk away into the sunset with a cool swagger about you.
2. Have you SEEN the local talent?
This response works particularly well if you live in a super-dangerous area. Chances are the person will immediately catch your drift and leave you alone.
3. I’m still single because the love of my life is Ryan Gosling and he’s currently arsing around with Eva Mendes, so until he wakes up and propositions me, I’m destined to remain alone. If I can’t be with Ryan, I don’t want to be with anyone.
4. I’ve given up dating for Lent.
Not even Lent though.
5. I’m not single, I’m married to my career.
Even if you don’t really like your job, this is a pretty valid excuse. People will just assume that you’re ambitious and driven.
6. Why am I still single? Allow me to explain it to you... through the medium of interpretative dance!
Immediately start dancing AT them. They’ll never ask you to explain your singledom again. Ever.
7. Men can’t handle my sheer awesomeness.
Well, it goes without saying that this one is pretty much 100 percent true. They also can’t handle the fact that you’re hilarious, gorgeous and incredible craic.
8. If I knew the answer to that question, I probably wouldn’t be single!
Lolz. This is a response that will immediately shut the other person down and show off your incredible wit.
9. 'Because... because...'
Then sit in silence then burst into tears and start singing All By Myself while rocking yourself to and fro gently. The subject will never be broached again.
10. Simply tell the truth.
That you’re happy out, you enjoy having the time to focus on yourself, and it’s pretty damn nice not to have to deal with the downsides of being in a relationship (the fights, jealousy etc). You’re happy enough to spend time chilling on your own while you wait for someone amazing to come into your life. You just can’t argue with that level of honesty.