The chicken fried rice that you can make with what's left in the cupboard
The ultimate storm comfort food.
For those of us who didn't adequately stock up before Storm Emma made landfall today, we're now all scratching our heads about what to make for dinner.
On a normal day there would be no confusion, but the state of nationwide panic has now spread to the kitchen and dinner so far looks like it will consist of a ham sandwich and a cup of tea.
However, with a little digging, we found all the ingredients we'll need to make this tasty chicken fried rice and we're sure you'll have them too.
In less time than it would take a takeaway to be delivered, you’ll have this meal for six ready to serve and will surely be going back for seconds. We recommend doubling up on the ingredients if possible, to get dinner and tomorrow's lunch sorted in one.
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 4 large beaten eggs
- ¾ cup diced onion
- ¾ cup red pepper
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 4 cups basmati rice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2-3 tsp chilli-garlic sauce
1. Heat one tbsp oil in a large pan over medium-high heat for one minute; add eggs, and cook, gently stirring, one to two minutes or until softly scrambled.
2. Remove eggs from pan and chop.
3. Heat remaining two tbsp oil in pan; add onion, bell pepper, and green beans, and stir-fry three to four minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
4. Add chicken, and stir-fry two minutes. Add rice, soy sauce, and chilli-garlic sauce; stir-fry three to four minutes or until thoroughly heated.
5. Stir in scrambled eggs and sprinkle with desired toppings.
If rice isn't you thing, why not try this delish chicken fajita pasta bake?