Everyone is OBSESSED with this healthy pizza alternative
We love a good healthy swap – especially when it actually tastes as good as the original.
And if pizza is your go-to comfort food, your 'bold food' – well, then we have a swap for you we think you are going to love.
Meet Socca Pizza (pronounced a little bit like 'polka' but without the 'L').
Socca is basically a simple, savory, crispy pancake, made with just chickpea flour, water, olive oil and salt.
Meaning, of course, that it is not only vegan and naturally gluten-free, but it is also perfect for using as a pizza base as it crisps up when cooked, and will indeed resemble a thin-crust, Italian-style pizza – just a whole lot better for you, that is.
A quick Pinterest search will yield a ton of different recipes and ideas when it comes to toppings for you to try, but basically, as is the case with pizza in general, you can top it with pretty much whatever you fancy.
Here is one from one of our very favourite foodie blogs, Cookie and Kate, just to get you started with your Socca pizza making:
Socca Pizza with Summer Squash and Feta
Socca pizza crust
- 1 cup (120 grams) chickpea flour
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 1 small zucchini and/or yellow squash (I used both but had leftovers of each), ribboned with a vegetable peeler and/or julienne peeler and tossed lightly in olive oil
- 5 pitted Kalamata olives, sliced in half lengthwise
- Small handful sun-dried tomatoes (either oil-packed or Trader Joe’s dried kind)
- 1 small sprig fresh thyme, optional
For instructions on how to make this yummy pizza, head over to Cookieandkate.com