Kitchen Crusade: Here's a recipe for savoury porridge - that actually tastes unreal
No, honestly. It does.
Savoury porridge is a thing. I promise, it is. I've made it, and it's actually delicious.
Alright, yeah, porridge is traditionally known to be quite a sweet breakfast treat, but listen lads, you can have porridge for brunch, lunch, and dinner too.
Just cook it the same way you would a risotto, throw a load of veggies and spices in, and you're flying.
If you don't believe me, please check out the below video alá our most recent episode of Kitchen Crusade.
It's unreal, I swear.
You'll need (serves one):
- 200g rolled oats
- 100g button mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 or 2 eggs hard boiled
- Half an avocado
- Handful of Parmesan
- 1 stock cube in 200ml water
- A load of cracked black pepper
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Pinch of parsley
1. Gently fry up your garlic and onions in a pan while bringing an egg to boil in a separate pan. Stir a vegetable stock cube through some hot water and set aside.
2. Add chopped mushrooms and all spices to the pan and stir through for a few minutes on a medium heat. Then throw in your dry porridge (rolled oats). Add one third of the vegetable stock and stir until all of the stock is absorbed by the porridge.
3. Repeat a few more times until all of the stock is used and the porridge has achieved a mushy consistency (it's not gross, alright?). Stir in your Parmesan and serve up in a bowl with a pealed and halved boiled egg and half an avocado.
4. It eat. It's class.
You can follow the Kitchen Crusade series over on the Her IGTV here.