You need to add these fried mash potato balls to your mid-week meals
There's nothing better than a good serving of mash potatoes.
But these fried mash potato balls sound absolutely delicious. The Delish recipe is extremely handy if you have some mash left over from Sunday dinner, or just if you want to jazz up your meal a little bit.
We also think they'd go well with a few tapas dishes if you ever have mates over... it might not be the most traditional, but at least it'll taste good.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 3 slices of leftover bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2/3 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced chives
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/3 pt. of panko breadcrumbs
- In a large bowl, combine mashed potatoes with cooked bacon, cheddar, chives, and garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Place eggs and panko in separate shallow bowls. Use a small cookie scoop to scoop 1” to 2” balls of mashed potato mixture. Roll into a ball in your hands, then dredge first in egg and then in panko. Repeat until all mashed potatoes are used.
- Heat 3” of oil in a large cast iron skillet until candy thermometer reads 375°. Fry potato balls in batches until golden on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and season immediately with more salt.
Image: PARKER FEIERBACH