RECIPE - Seared Scallops With Watercress Puree, Watercress Salad, Passion Fruit and Radish
Scallops, with their soft fleshy texture and delicately mild sweet taste, team perfectly with a watercress puree and salad. This is the perfect dish for summer.
Check out the recipe below.
This recipe serves four.
- 12 king size scallops
- ½ lemon
- 1 tsp of butter
- Pulp and seeds of 2 ripe passion fruits
For the water cress puree and salad:
- 2 bunches or punnets of watercress cleaned and stalks removed
- 1 small potato peeled and diced (about 60g or 2 oz)
- ½ onion diced
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 liters of iced water
- Place a pan of salted water and bring to the boil
- Place the leaves of 1 bunch or 1 punnet of water cress in boiling water for about 10 to 15 seconds
- With a slotted spoon remove the leaves and place them in a bowl of iced water and leave them to cool
- In a small saucepan cook the onion gently with tbsp of olive oil, add in the small diced potato and cook very gently until soft
- Place the potato, onion and watercress in a blender and mix until smooth
- Season to taste and keep aside until needed.
- Cook and assemble the dish
Cooking the scallops will only take a 2 to 3 minutes:
- Preheat a nonstick pan, drizzle with a little bit of olive oil
- Season the scallops with a bit of salt and place them in the hot pan, leave them to colour and turned them on the other side
- Once they are coloured on both sides, add in the butter and roll the scallops into it, when the butter begin to colour squeeze the juice of the lemon on the top and roll them in again
- They are now ready to be plate
- Place the puree, the cress leaves, sliced radish and passion fruit onto the plate to your preferences or as per picture
This recipe was brought to you by Restaurant gigi's at the g Hotel & Spa in Galway. Restaurant gigi’s is a two AA culinary rosette Restaurant offering four menus daily from €29.50 per person. With the talented Head Chef Cedric Bottarlini and his team of culinary adventurers in the kitchen, Restaurant gigi’s is a gastronomic destination for foodies and wine lovers from all over the country. If you are heading to the Galway Races – there are a whole load of great events and dining offers available at the g Hotel & Spa. Check them out here.