Met Police drop Prince Andrew investigation following review 2 weeks ago

Met Police drop Prince Andrew investigation following review

Prince Andrew "absolutely and categorically" denies all allegations against him.

Met Police will take no further action following a review prompted by Virginia Giuffre, who is taking legal action against Prince Andrew.

Advertisement

Virgina Giuffre was allegedly sexually assaulted by the Prince. She says she was trafficked by disgraced businessman Jeffrey Epstein and forced to have sex with Prince Andrew when she was 17 years old.

In August, Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said her team was reviewing the allegations and looking into the evidence. Speaking about the legal action on a radio show, she stated that "no one is above the law."

In a statement on Sunday, Met Police confirmed that it would be dropping the investigation:

"As a matter of procedure MPS officers reviewed a document released in August 2021 as part of a US civil action. This review has concluded and we are taking no further action."

The update, which was reported by Channel 4, also confirmed that the force had completed its review into allegations made by the broadcaster in June that socialite Ghislaine Maxwell - the late Jeffrey Epstein's girlfriend - had trafficked, groomed, and abused a number of women in the UK.

"We also reviewed information passed to us by a media organisation in June 2021. This review is complete and no further action will be taken," it said.

Prince Andrew has "absolutely and categorically" denied all accusations against him and claims not to recall ever meeting Virgina Giuffre.

Advertisement

Sources close to the Prince say that an infamous photograph of the two together was faked. The image shows Andrew smiling, with his hand around Virginia Giuffre's waist, and is said to have been taken by Jeffrey Epstein at the home of Ghislaine Maxwell in 2001.

The Met Police said it will continue to collaborate with other law enforcement agencies who are investigating matters associated with Jeffrey Epstein.

Last week, a US judge agreed for Prince Andrew's lawyers to receive a copy of a 2009 settlement that that they believe will enable them to win the case.