Three dogs die hours after swimming in pond with toxic blue-green algae 3 months ago

Three dogs die hours after swimming in pond with toxic blue-green algae

Three dogs have died from algae poisoning after swimming in a pond that was filled with the toxic substance.

Heartbroken dog owner Melissa Martin shared a heartbreaking post on Facebook telling how she and her friend Denise had brought their pups on a playdate only for the terrible tragedy to unfold.

The dogs had been playing happily in the North Carolina pond but fifteen minutes after leaving, they fell ill and were rushed to a veterinary hospital.

Her post reads:

"At 12:08 AM, our dogs crossed the rainbow bridge together.

"They contracted blue-green algae poisoning and there was nothing they could do. We are gutted. I wish I could do today over. I would give anything to have one more day with them. Harpo and I had work to do, but now we will carry on in his memory and we will make sure every standing body of water has a warning sign".

Melissa said there were no warning signs near the Wilmington pond and it was only after her vet told her it was algae poisoning, she realised what had happened.

She is determined to ensure that signs are put in place to warn people about these potential dangers so that lives can be saved.

"We are now on a mission to put signs at every body of water that can have this deadly bacteria".

A Go Fund Me page has been set up by Melissa's friends in a bid to spread the word and share this information with every dog owner.

Exposure to blue/green algae often proves fatal to dogs and although signage should indicate any potential danger, always avoid water that is dull/murky in colour and has an unpleasant smell.