Manchester United footballer remains in custody for alleged sexual assault
*Content warning - references to rape and sexual assault*
He has been suspended from the club's training and matches until further notice.
A Manchester United footballer is still in custody after being arrested on Sunday on suspicion of sexual assault and rape.
The allegations against him came following the circulations of images and videos online. Photographs were posted to the victim's account showing her with several bruises on her arms, legs, and face, and bleeding from the lip.
Another video included a disturbing audio recording of the man allegedly having sex with her against her will.
Manchester United have confirmed that he will not return to training or play any matches until further notice.
The player in police custody is reported to be 20-year-old Mason Greenwood, though this is yet to be confirmed.
Greater Manchester Police said it had been looking into “online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence”.
The force said: “An investigation was launched and following inquiries we can confirm a man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault.
“He remains in custody for questioning."
The images and videos have been deleted from the victim's social media but have been reposted by several other accounts.
Amid allegations, Manchester United released a statement saying that the club was aware of the material online and "does not condone violence of a any kind" adding that it would not make another comment until the "facts have been established".
Nike, which sponsors the player, said that it was “deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation”.
The man has yet to respond to the allegations.