Britney Spears is addressing the US court today 1 year ago

Britney Spears is addressing the US court today

The singer is expected to discuss her father's involvement in her affairs today.

Britney Spears is set to appear in court in the US today to discuss her conservatorship.


Until 2019, Britney's father, Jamie Spears, was in control of the star's personal and financial affairs, after she was deemed unable to care for herself.

Mr Spears stepped down from his role two years ago due to health reasons. Since then, a temporary conservator managed her affairs.

Today will see Britney address the court directly and speak of her experience over the last 13 years.

The star's conservatorship was the subject of a documentary - Framing Britney Spears - which was released earlier this year. Spears' fans have rallied around the star and welcomed the news that she would be addressing the judge today.


Yesterday, reports emerged stating that Britney pushed for an end to the court arrangement for many years.

According to a 2016 court document obtained by The New York Times, the singer felt that the conservatorship had become an "oppressive and controlling tool against her".

The court report allegedly said that the singer had "a lot of fear" in relation to the legal arrangement, and worried that any mistakes she made would lead to "very harsh" consequences.


Earlier this year, Ms Spears' lawyer asked the court to permanently remove Jamie Spears from his role as conservator. Additionally, Britney reserved her right to request an end to the conservatorship in the future.

Jamie's lawyers, however, have maintained that the singer has the right to terminate the legal arrangement at any time.

Vivian L. Thoreen told People Magazine: "Her Conservatorship of the Person is not managed by her father but by a private professional fiduciary, and is similarly subject to the scrutiny of interviews, audits, and detailed reports to the judge by the court investigator.”

She added: "Any time Britney wants to end her conservatorship, she can ask her lawyer to file a petition to terminate it; she has always had this right but in 13 years has never exercised it.”