Spring reset: 25 small lifestyle changes that will make you happier and healthier
Spring is here.
And much as it is hard to believe it, we are now a full year into this pandemic.
A year of social distancing and staying home and working remotely and Zoom-ing and online shopping and missing family, friends, hugs, fun and normality.
HOLY CRAP what a 12 months it has been.
However, I don't know about you, but I feel like, little by little, life is slowly returning to some level of normality – and we are moving, albeit at snail's pace, in the right direction, and boy, does it feel good.
I'm a big believer in fresh starts and spring always feels like one. And I think more so than ever this year, we should embrace it.
I often think it is not so much the big, drastic efforts that have the biggest effect when it comes to elevating or changing our lives. Instead, try paying attention to the little things, the small actions of your everyday life. And notice how making small changes here can actually, in the long run, end up making a big difference.
I love that saying: "How you spend your days is how you spend your life." Because it is so true. All those every-days, all those Mondays and Tuesdays and Thursdays, they really are what make up our lives, and so changing your life for the better, it really starts here.
And so stop taking on big lofty resolutions that feel like a burden or make you feel like you aren't good enough, and instead, try adding these little changes, bit by bit. I can pretty much promise you that in just a couple of weeks, you'll be feeling like you are living your bestest life, glowing with happiness, contentedness and health.
Are you ready to make a start? Here are 25 easy lifestyle changes that will make a big difference.
1. Go to bed earlier
Aim to get eight hours every night, and ideally, at least one of those hours being before midnight.
2. Wake up earlier
There is something so wholesome and healthy about getting up early, and ideally, waking up at the same time every morning will make it easier to fall asleep come evening too.
3. Learn to make three really healthy and nourishing recipes
I mean, learn to cook lots of healthy recipes, but having an easy, tangible goal is important to get started, so three is a good number.
4. Get comfortable saying no to things you don't want to do – and that doesn't fit in with your schedule
You will soon realise how liberating this is!
5. Do a tech detox every evening
Put your phone to charge at 7pm, so you don't have to charge it (and leave it plugged in) over night, and then don't look at it for the rest of the night. You can do it.
6. Get into the habit of bringing a water bottle (reusable, of course) everywhere you go
Hydrating yourself is the most important step to feeling healthier and having more energy.
7. Take a yoga class – and commit to going once a week
Find an online one for now (the Alo app is amazing) or join a studio when they repoen. You will regret not doing it sooner.
8. Book a dentist appointment – and schedule your next check-up for six months down the line
Dental health is so important for your overall health. Stay on top of it.
9. Write down three things every evening you are grateful for
Counting your blessings will make it easier to realise how many of these you got in your life.
10. Buy a green plant
Taking care of plants and watching them thrive actually makes you happier – science says so!
11. Re-watch 'Sex and the City' from the very start
And let's get excited about the reboot that is happening!
12. Tidy out your wardrobe
You will save time, money and stress by having an organised wardrobe + it will feel so good to donate what you don't need anymore.
13. Simplify your phone, delete any apps you don't use
Simplifying your life will make you live more mindfully and on purpose.
14. Make some ready-made smoothie packs and keep in your freezer
No more excuses to not have a healthy breakfast.
15. Be more mindful about your alcohol habits
You don't have to give up drinking to be healthy – but take stock of how you engage with alcohol, and create healthy habits.
16. Book a massage
Having something to look forward to once restrictions lift will feel so good.
17. Ditch diet drinks for good
They are bad news for your health.
18. Buy yourself fresh flowers every Friday
You are with it – and your home will feel like such a happy place.
19. Start a bookclub
Reading has been proven to increase happiness – and sharing it with friends make it even more fun.
20. Plan a weekend trip with your mum
Girl time is always a good idea!
21. Eat something green every day
Get in the habit of treating your body to goodness – it will thank you.
22. Stretch every morning
Your body was made for movement – give it the treat of a big stretch every morning – you will feel more ready for your day.
23. Call a friend you haven't heard from in a while
Life gets in the way – but friends are important.
24. Sit down and take a proper look at your finances – and make adjustments where needed
Get into the habit of checking your online banking daily, pay bills on time, start saving – even if just a few euros a month. Knowing your finances will make you feel less stressed.
25. Deep-clean your house, one room at a time – and throw out or donate everything you no longer use or need
Chaos breeds chaos. You will soon see how much better you feel when your surroundings are tidy and organised.