5 things I learned while recording my smear test
Lube doesn't always mean a party.
Yep, we're diving straight in with lube talk. On this week's episode of Girls With Goals, we're focusing on health and some of the things we can (and should) do to stay on top of things.
Full disclosure, I'm the queen of procrastination, sometimes I have so many things to do that I simply choose to nap instead... true story.
I've been putting off my latest smear test for around 8 months, which is pretty stupid and unacceptable. So, this week, I thought it was important to practise what I preach, SUCK IT UP and get it done.
Ok, so a few things I learned:
- Nurses are the best... and they DON'T care about your vagina - I'll compare the vagina in this situation to security at the airport, a necessity to get through in order to get to the plane (the plane being the cervix... too literal?). The nurse or doctor taking the sample has no interest in your bikini line or your underwear, they see this part of women every single day of the week, so rest assured there's no judgment happening.
- Men hate hearing about your cervix - I've genuinely never encountered as many 'ew' faces than I have this past week. Lads, we know... it's uncomfortable to think about, but we're the ones who have to open the legs and get it done, so chill.
- People on the street also not so cool with cervix talk - This is really more to do with my lack of influencer skills, but I did document the whole thing on my Instagram account, and yeah... it was a little awkward.
- It lasts 2 minutes - The nurse did tell me that it can get more complicated if the cervix can't be found. It's literally an in and out job. Lube helps a lot, and probably the most uncomfortable moment is the insertion, then it's pretty much plain sailing.
- It's NOT painful - It doesn't hurt. Honestly, if it's your first time don't fret. You'll only be having the test if you're sexually active and what with tampons etc. the feeling will be familiar. A tiny bit of pressure and then HEY PRESTO you're done.
I was also joined by sisters Ashling and Aoife O'Regan who are highlighting the importance of getting screened by sharing their story (20.40).
I spoke to sisters @aoife_beeb and @ashlingor on #GirlsWithGoals this week... they're highlighting the importance of getting cervical screenings, it's so quick and easy but CRUCIAL for our health! Take the time to listen to their story... link is in my bio ? . . . . . . . . . #GirlsWithGoals #Podcast #Smear #Health #Cervical #Screening #Cancer #Awareness #Broadcast #Work #CervicalCheck #DontFearTheSmear
Join our community by checking out all the previous episodes of Girls With Goals on your iPhone or Android.
New episodes go live every Monday morning.