BAFTA suspend Noel Clarke amid sexual harassment allegations
The actor and director said that he "vehemently denies" the allegations.
The British Academy of Film and Television Arts have suspended actor and director Noel Clarke after 20 women accused him of sexual harassment and bullying in a piece published by The Guardian.
The accusations date between 2004 and 2019.
Through his legal team, Clarke has denied the allegations, bar one. He accepted that he made "inappropriate comments" about one woman, but apologised for them later.
In a statement, BAFTA said:
"In light of the allegations of serious misconduct regarding Noel Clarke in The Guardian, BAFTA has taken the decision to suspend his membership and the Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema award immediately and until further notice."
Last month, BAFTA announced that Clarke would receive the aforementioned award in their upcoming ceremony.
We have made a statement regarding Noel Clarke on our website https://t.co/C5yi6BmDlA
— BAFTA (@BAFTA) April 29, 2021
The Guardian spoke to 20 women who knew Clarke in a "professional capacity". According to the article, these women accused him of "sexual harassment, unwanted touching or groping, sexually inappropriate behaviour and comments on set, professional misconduct, taking and sharing sexually explicit pictures and videos without consent, and bullying between 2004 and 2019."
The actor, director and writer, who is known for his work on Doctor Who and Bulletproof, addressed the allegations of misconduct in a statement of his own.
He said: "In a 20-year career, I have put inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of my work and never had a complaint made against me.
"If anyone who has worked with me has ever felt uncomfortable or disrespected, I sincerely apologise.
"I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or wrongdoing and intend to defend myself against these false allegations."