Gabby Petito: Police resume search of Florida swamp for fiancé 10 months ago

Gabby Petito: Police resume search of Florida swamp for fiancé

They're starting this morning.

Police and FBI are resuming their search of a Florida swamp as they continue to look for Gabby Petito's fiancé Brian Laundrie.


On Tuesday, a local coroner in Wyoming confirmed the body found matching her description was in fact that of the missing YouTuber.

Brian has been a person of interest in the case for a few weeks but has been missing from his Florida home since September 14th.

Gabby was reported missing on September 11th, 10 days after Brian arrived home in their converted Ford van without her.


Police say they learned from Brian's family on Friday that he was last seen last Tuesday when he reportedly left his home in North Port to take a hike alone in the Carlton Reserve wilderness area.

Pausing their search on Tuesday evening, police have now confirmed they will resume on Wednesday of the vast, alligator-infested reserve.

The FBI in Denver confirmed that human remains found and recovered in Wyoming are those of missing woman, Gabby Petito. In an update released on Twitter last night, the FBI Denver account stated: "Teton County Coroner Dr Brent Blue confirmed the remains are those of Gabrielle Venora Petito, date of birth March 19, 1999. Coroner Blue’s initial determination for the manner of death is homicide. The cause of death remains pending final autopsy results."


Her remains were found on Sunday, less than 300 metres from where two travel bloggers had accidentally recorded a video that caught a glimpse of the couple's white Ford Transit van parked along a dirt road on August 27th.

Gabby and her fiancé Brian Laundrie set out for a four-month cross-country trip visiting and camping in national parks in a van, according to Gabby's stepfather Jim Schmidt.


Their van was pulled over on August 12 after the pair had been fighting, with the bodycam footage showing the 22-year-old crying as she told officers of the situation.

Stopping in Utah, her family claims something went wrong after that and on August 12, police in Moab, Utah, responded to a call of a "domestic problem" when Brian and Gabby had "some sort of argument," telling her to take a walk and calm down, according to police reports.

Gabby last had contact with her family in late August in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming, with Brian arriving alone in Florida on September 1st.

Following Gabby's disappearance, Brian Laundrie refused to speak with police officials upon his return to Florida and since he has been missing, his home was closed off and declared a crime scene.