Girl, 15, collapses and dies in UK after reportedly taking MDMA
"This is an incredibly sad and tragic event."
A teenager in the UK has died after taking what is believed to be MDMA.
The girl, aged 15, collapsed in a car park in Northallerton in Yorkshire at around 9.30pm last night.
The alarm was raised by a concerned passer-by who spotted her and called for help.
Police and ambulance services rushed to the scene but the girl later died in hospital.
The authorities believe the girl may have taken MDMA, contributing to her death.
The car park has been sealed off while officers conduct a search.
Police have warned about the dangers of the drug and urged members of the public to be careful.
"This is an incredibly sad and tragic event and police enquiries are ongoing to determine the events around the girl's death," Detective Inspector Jon Sygrove of North Yorkshire Police told Sky News.
"Our thoughts and condolences are with her family and friends.
"As our investigation continues, I’d advise anyone who has purchased MDMA recently to be cautious about taking it.
"If you have already taken the drug and feel unwell, please seek medical assistance immediately."
An overdose of MDMA can lead to organ failure and can be especially dangerous when taken with alcohol.
A significant proportion of the drugs on sale on the streets contain other contaminants that can cause heart attacks, stroke or organ failure.