Manchester terror attack victims' families to receive €275,000 each
The families of the 22 people tragically killed at an Ariana Grande concert on May 22, 2017, are to recieve £250,000 (€275,000) each.
The families will receive the money from a We Love Manchester Fund which was created shortly after the terror attack and has recieved over €25 million in donations.
One of those families in particular, are sisters Patrycia and Alex Elis who lost both their parents Angelika and Marcin Klis. The girl's parents had been waiting outside the venue to collect them when the bombing occurred. They will recieve £500,000 (€550,000) between them.
Councillor and chair of the fund, Sue Murphy told The Guardian: "The city and the world responded with such extreme kindness, generosity and solidarity in the aftermath of the Manchester Arena attack. We will now spend some time looking at how we will distribute the rest of the funds. This will be a complex and sensitive process as we will need to assess the long-term impacts of the attack."
According to Sue Murphy, 9 people are still in hospital following the attack with decisions yet to be confirmed as to whether or not they will recieve money for their injuries.
The recipients can spend the money however they see fit, but the trustees are encouraging them to seek financial advice. In her interview with The Guardian, Murphy also said that a separate fund would soon be established to raise money for a permanent memorial for the victims of May 22nd. Suggestions for the memorial include a statute of Ariana Grande who was made the first honorary citizen of Manchester, as well as a garden with a range of flowers near the arena.