Prince Andrew to be officially notified of sexual assault case, says UK High Court
Prince Andrew is set to be notified of the sexual assault case against him by the UK High Court.
Virginia Giuffre took legal action against the Duke of York earlier this year, claiming that the royal sexually assaulted her when she was 17-years-old.
Giuffre's legal team had requested the UK High Court intervene as the proceedings were filed in the US. According to Mail Online, the High Court will contact Prince Andrew and serve the appropriate papers.
This request was previously denied due to a "technicality."
Journalist Omid Scobie confirmed the news today, stating on Twitter: "The UK’s High Court has just accepted a request to notify Prince Andrew about Giuffre’s civil case.
"Her legal team had asked the court to take action under the Hague Service Convention. This means that the Duke will officially be getting served."
The UK’s High Court has just accepted a request to notify Prince Andrew about @VRSVirginia Giuffre’s civil case. Her legal team had asked the court to take action under the Hague Service Convention. This means that the Duke will officially be getting served.
— Omid Scobie (@scobie) September 15, 2021
Giuffre took legal action against Prince Andrew earlier this year, alleging that she was sex trafficked to him in Jeffrey Epstein's home, and later sexually assaulted.
"I am holding Prince Andrew accountable for what he did to me," she said in a statement. "The powerful and rich are not exempt from being held responsible for their actions. I hope that other victims will see that it is possible not to live in silence and fear, but to reclaim one’s life by speaking out and demanding justice."
"I did not come to this decision lightly. As a mother and a wife, my family comes first — and I know that this action will subject me to further attacks by Prince Andrew and his surrogates — but I knew if I did not pursue this action, I would be letting them and victims everywhere down."
In an interview for BBC Panorama in 2019, Giuffre spoke at length about her allegations against the prince. The Duke later told BBC Newsnight that "it didn't happen" and he has "no recollection" of meeting Giuffre.