RTÉ confirms Eoghan McDermott will not be returning to 2FM
RTÉ said McDermott's contract "is due to expire shortly".
RTÉ has confirmed that presenter Eoghan McDermott will not be returning to 2FM.
The news comes after reports last week that McDermott was leaving the broadcaster after working with them on radio and television for six years.
A report in The Sunday World claimed that an RTÉ source told the paper that McDermott's departure was for personal reasons.
In a statement released on Monday, the broadcaster said: "RTÉ confirms that Eoghan McDermott will not be returning to RTÉ 2FM.
"His contract is due to expire shortly.
"RTÉ is developing a new direction for the 2FM Breakfast Show which will be revealed in the coming weeks.
"Doireann Garrihy will remain with the show."
After joining RTÉ from Spin in 2015, McDermott worked for The Breakfast Show on RTÉ 2FM, which he has hosted alongside Garrihy, for the past two years.
Together, he and Garrihy won the Best Breakfast Show award at last year’s IMRO awards.