Search for climber who went missing on Mount Everest to begin today 4 months ago

Search for climber who went missing on Mount Everest to begin today

He went missing last Thursday while descending the mountain.

The search for the climber who went missing on Mount Everest will finally begin today.

Seamus Lawless was descending the mountain last week when he fell and disappeared. The Wicklow man had achieved his life-long dream of reaching Everest's summit just a few hours before.

Lawless's family set up a GoFundMe page following news of his fall in order to hire a team of experts to find him.

They said that Lawless's insurance company were refusing to cover the operation.

Himalayan Times reports that the search for the 39-year-old will begin this evening.

Seven Summit Treks, the company that organised Lawless's climb, said that eight high-altitude sherpa climbers would also be involved in the extensive operation.

"Hanna was a team leader of the expedition while Bhote served as a lead guide," said Mingma Sherpa.

"The team equipped with search and recovery equipment will try its best to recover Mr Lawless."

Lawless had wanted to climb Mount Everest before he reached his 40th birthday. His family said that he wanted to complete the climb "not only to challenge himself but to raise vital funds on behalf of Barretstown."

"At this moment in time we have little to no information about what happened on Thursday 16th May, nor do we know the current location of Shay," they said.

"It is our priority to locate him and bring him home and we appreciate all the support that can be offered as we face this hugely challenging situation.

"Time is of the essence in the search mission and the costs of running this mission are substantial."

The search is expected to commence later today.