These were the most talked about topics on Facebook in Ireland in 2017
Facebook has announced their 2017 Year in Review, which is a look back at the most talked about topics and the most popular events people attended on Facebook.
They looked at what people reacted to and talked about during important moments and events that happened in Ireland and around the world. In no particular order, these were the most discussed topics in Ireland on Facebook this year:
- Manchester Arena Bombing
- Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather
- Storm Ophelia
- Death of Martin McGuinness
- U2 performing at Croke Park
- Death of Chester Bennington from Linkin Park
The most popular events that brought people together in Ireland (in no particular order):
- Longitude - https://www.facebook.com/events/173462566490747/
- 6th Annual March for Choice -https://www.facebook.com/events/257070751427136/
- Ireland v Denmark - https://www.facebook.com/events/145326379419920/
- Boxed Off festival -https://www.facebook.com/events/1520959551316063
- Gonna jump down to Tesco for cans. Want anything? -https://www.facebook.com/events/108801562952340
Commenting on the Year in Review, Gareth Lambe, Head of Facebook Ireland, said:
“Every day people turn to Facebook to connect with friends, family and the wider community to talk about important moments, support each other in times of crisis and get together.
This year, the list reflects the breadth and diversity of subjects discussed on Facebook. Communities came together to support one another in times of crisis, for example, during Storm Ophelia and the Manchester Arena Bombing, while the March for Choice was an example of how people used Facebook to get together. People also came together to react and talk about big moments like the World Cup qualifier, the McGregor fight and U2 playing Croke Park.”
Starting from today, Facebook users will also be able to see their very own Year in Review, in the form of a personalized Year in Review video in their News Feed. This video shows special moments from this past year that they've shared or been tagged in, and compiles them in a short video that can be edited and shared.