Tent of seriously injured homeless man "placed in a dangerous location," say Dublin City Council
A homeless man suffered serious injuries after his tent was moved while he slept.
Dublin City Council have issued a statement in response to an incident where a homeless man was seriously injured after his tent was removed while he slept in it.
In a statement released on Wednesday, Dublin City Council said that the incident occurred while Waterways Ireland were "removing tents that were placed in a precarious and dangerous location".
"An incident occurred yesterday, 14 January, 2020, involving a homeless man on the Grand Canal during a process where Waterways Ireland were removing tents that were placed in a precarious and dangerous location," the statement read.
"An individual was injured during the process and was taken to hospital. The Dublin Regional Homeless Executive is currently liaising with the hospital and every support is being provided. Our thoughts are with the man at this time.
"The Executive has been engaging with the individual for some time and accommodation remains available to him. Every action that is taken by state services is taken in the interest of health and safety of those individuals experiencing homelessness."
Dublin City Council confirmed that the incident is being investigated by An Garda Síochána.
Earlier this morning, Gardaí confirmed that the man's tent was being removed at the time of the incident in what they described as an "attempt to tidy the canal walk way".
Gardaí in Pearse Street were alerted to an incident that occurred on Tuesday afternoon at Wilton Terrace in Dublin 2.
Gardaí said that a man whose age is currently unknown was sleeping in his tent when it was removed in what Gardaí have described as an "attempt to tidy the canal walk way".
The man was subsequently removed to St. Vincent's Hospital, where he remains in serious condition.
Investigations are ongoing.