Wimbledon is BACK and we can't wait to see what happens
Strawberries and Pimm's at the ready.
It's that time of year again, Wimbledon is in full swing and we can't hide our delight anymore. Even if you don't know tennis, you know Wimbledon. The whole event screams summer, from the celebrity sightings to the royalty in attendance, it's a veritable feast for the eyes. Sure, there's quite a bit of pomp and ceremony on display, but a little pomp never hurt anyone.
We've compiled a list of our favourite, iconic and often shocking moments that have occurred at Wimbledon:
- John McEnroe's outburst in 1981 - "You CANNOT be serious"- before the aid of sideline technology, there were the McEnroe outbursts. We'll never really know if the ball was in or out, but it is one of the most iconic moments in Wimbledon history and for that John...we thank you.
- Serena Williams 2009 - "Are you looking at my titles" - after defeating her sister Venus, she wore this shirt with pride. It provoked questions from the media which she deflected in a way befitting one of the greatest athletes of all time.
- Cliff Richards 1996 - Brightening spirits by singing songs in the rain... why not?
- The original Pat Cash Dash 1987 - Many have replicated it since then, but he was the FIRST to scramble through the crowds to celebrate his victory with his family.
- Andy Murray ends the 77-year British drought to win Wimbledon in 2013 - There wasn't a dry eye in the house as a usually stoic Murray celebrated his Wimbledon victory by beating Djokovic on the 4th Championship point.
We can't wait.