Big Brother star left temporarily blinded and scarred after TikTok DIY beauty 'hack' 5 months ago

Big Brother star left temporarily blinded and scarred after TikTok DIY beauty 'hack'

Tilly was injured after plunging needles into her skin.

A Big Brother Australia contest has been injured after attempting a DIY TikTok beauty hack.

Advertisement

Tilly Whitfeld was hospitalised and temporarily lost vision in one eye after attempting an "acupuncture style treatment" she saw on the social media platform.

The 'hack' Tilly replicated involved putting needles into her skin.

Tilly suffered scarring and ended up being "very sick" as a result.

The reality star shared a picture of her injury on Instagram, and told her followers that the incident happened before she appeared on the series.

She explained that she chose to cover her face during her time on Big Brother.

In her caption, she wrote:

"For those asking why I have my blue clay face mask on continuously throughout the show this is what my face looked like a week prior to entering the house hence why I always have makeup on and my skin is always covered.

Advertisement

"This is the result of attempting to remove scarring I inflicted on myself trying to replicate an at home beauty procedure I saw on a TikTok video 2 months before big brother."

She urged her fans to not replicate at-home beauty procedures.

"I ended up in hospital with temporary loss of vision in my eye due to swelling and was very sick from the infection, not to mention my face was unrecognisable.

Advertisement

"Leave it to the professionals."

Tilly also thanked Big Brother Australia for being "so super cute and supportive".

She later added that she was "fortunate enough to not have keloid scaring".

Medical experts continually advise TikTok users not to replicate dangerous trends they see on the social media platform.

Advertisement

Recently, an American woman went viral for using sandpaper to remove the hair on her legs.

Numerous health experts pointed out that this can leave the skin vulnerable to infections, and cause sores and abrasions.