Meghan and Harry 'forced out of their home' after paparazzi took photos through windows
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were forced to leave their home earlier this year after photographers took photos in their windows.
Today they received an apology and a financial settlement from the agency that commissioned the photos.
The Duke and Duchess quietly moved to a private rented house in the Oxfordshire countryside in England while their home at Frogmore Cottage in Windsor was being renovated and Meghan was pregnant.
The couple chose the house, surrounded by farm lands, specifically so they could avoid photographers, a lawyer for the prince said today.
Royal correspondent Omid Scobie reports that Splash News agency took pictures from a helicopter on 9 January.
His lawyer said photos showing inside Harry and Meghan’s living room, dining area and bedroom undermined the couple’s safety and security “to the extent that they are no longer able to live at the property.”
A palace rep says Harry “acknowledges and welcomes the formal apology.”
— Omid Scobie (@scobie) May 16, 2019
The photographer managed got shots of inside their living room, dining area and bedroom.
The incident meant Meghan and Harry "are no longer able to live at the property," he said.
Harry took legal action against the agency after the some of the photos were published.
The case was settled int the British high court today, reports The Guardian.
Splash News agreed to a substantial settlement and apologised for causing distress to Meghan and Harry.
"Splash has always recognised that this situation represents an error of judgement and we have taken steps to ensure it will not
be repeated. We apologise to the Duke and Duchess for the distress we have caused," it said in a statement.
A royal spokesperson said that Harry welcomed the apology.
"The Duke of Sussex acknowledges and welcomes the formal apology from Splash News and Picture Agency as referenced in the statement in open court today.”
"The duke was awarded a significant sum towards damages and legal fees, which will be put towards a donation to charity and covering the duke’s legal costs.”