New study finds eczema affects 1 in 12 adults in Ireland
Today is Eczema Global Awareness Day.
Eczema is a chronic skin condition which causes a dry, red and itchy rash on the skin. It affects 1 in 5 children and 1 in 12 adults in Ireland.
For those of you who suffer from eczema, you know that it can be a very uncomfortable condition which can greatly impact quality of life.
People with the condition will often experience periods of time where their symptoms flare up or worsen, followed by periods of time where their symptoms will improve or clear up.
Skincare brand Avène has a few top tips on handling the skin condition:
- Choose showers over baths and keep the water temperature at a maximum of 34ºC.
- Choose soap free cleansers which are gentle on the skin to protect the natural skin barrier.
- Carefully pat the skin dry after washing without rubbing.
- Try to avoid scratching – Scratch a teddy bear instead!
- Choose soft cotton clothes over wool and synthetic fabrics.
- Apply emollient creams and balms to reduce itching and sooth the inflamed skin.
It has also created a step by step skin care Avène routine for eczema prone skin. You can check it out here.