8-year-old girl dies in bouncy castle accident in Spain
Eight other children were injured after being dropped from the air.
An eight-year-old girl has died and eight other children have been injured following an accident involving a bouncy castle in eastern Spain.
The Irish Examiner reports that the incident took place at a fairground in Mislata, which is on the outskirts of Valencia. Wind gusts lifted the bouncy castle several meters into the air and dropped the children on the ground.
Nine children were subsequently taken to the hospital, where one of them, an 8-year-old girl passed away. A four-year-old child remains in hospital.
The Spanish police are currently investigating the circumstances surrounding the tragedy.
In a post shared on Twitter, the mayor of Mislata, Carlos Fernández Bielsa, said that it was a "very sad day" for the city.
Mislata has entered a period of mourning for the eight-year-old girl which will last until Friday. Christmas celebrations that had been planned over the next few days have been cancelled.
The city's officials extended their condolences to the girl's family in a statement.
They said: "We would like to offer our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the child who lost her life. She was only eight years old."
The Spanish tragedy comes just weeks after six children were killed in a similar incident in Tasmania, Australia. A gust of wind picked up the bouncy castle and dropped a number of children from a height of 10 meters.
The children were named as Chace Harrison, 11, Addison Stewart (11), Zane Mellor (12), Jye Sheehan (12), Jalailah Jayne-Maree Jones (12) and Peter Dodt (12).
Three other children sustained injuries in the accident.