Conor McGregor charged with three counts of assault in New York City 2 years ago

Conor McGregor charged with three counts of assault in New York City

The incident occurred yesterday.

Conor McGregor has been charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after an incident at the UFC 223 media day.


His SBG teammate, Dubliner Cian Cowley, was charged with  one count of assault and one count of criminal mischief, according to MMA Fighting.

On Thursday, McGregor and his entourage arrived at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, following the end of the UFC 223 media day.

The incident is said to have occurred around 6.30pm Irish time, and involved them throwing a number of items at a bus transporting fighters.

McGregor was seen throwing a trolley at the bus, which ended up breaking a window and left one of the players on board injured.

Following the incident, UFC President Dana White explained how exactly McGregor and his entourage got in - as well as admitting the Dubliner's future fighting was in jeopardy.


He told MMA Junkie:

"What happened here today is Conor and approximately 20 guys were apparently let in through the doors by the Mac Life guys who were credentialed here.

"They opened the doors for them through an entrance and they stormed the building. They got down to the loading docks, where the fighters were getting on the buses, and they started to attack the buses.

"They were throwing trash cans, dollies and things like that.

"Obviously everybody is shaken up. When 30 thugs storm a building when these guys were all cutting weight and getting ready for a fight.

"This is the most disgusting thing that's happened in the history of the company."

McGregor was taken in to police custody later that night after he turned himself in.

The UFC later issued a press release regarding the fight, stating that a total of three fighters had been removed from the card on Saturday.

Lightweight Michael Chiesa, who had received "several facial cuts", was deemed not able to fight by the New York State Athletic Commission and the UFC medical team.


Flyweight Ray Borg was also deemed not fit to fight, as he had received "multiple corneal abrasions".

McGregor's teammate Artem Lobov was also removed from the card due to his "involvement in the incident", according to the UFC.