Pubs in Ireland to reopen in August at the earliest, government says
Pubs in Ireland won't open their doors until 10 August at the earliest, the Taoiseach has confirmed.
Pubs, bars and nightclubs are all due to re-open under phase 5 of the government's newly-announced roadmap for easing lockdown restrictions.
All phases of this roadmap are dependent on Ireland's ongoing success in beating the spread of Covid-19, Leo Varadkar said last night.
"Unfortunately the risk of a second wave of the virus is ever present,” he said. “So we can only move from one phase to the next if the virus stays under control between each phase."
Here is the government's current plan for getting life in Ireland back to normal.
Phase 1: 18 May
- Up to four people from different households will be able to meet outdoors while social distancing
- Outdoor workers, including those in construction and gardening, can return to work
- Garden centres, hardware stores, opticians, electrical stores, phone repair shops and bike repair shops can re-open
- Outdoor and tourist amenities, golf courses and tennis courts can re-open with social distancing
Phase 2: 8 June
- Travel up to 20km will be allowed
- Over-70s can shop for short periods of time
- Short visits to over-70s will be allowed with social distancing and protective masks and gloves
- Up to four people can visit another house for a short period
- Businesses where people can work remotely will be asked to continue this
- People can engage in outdoor sports in small groups
Phase 3: 29 June
- Cafes and restaurants that can enforce social distancing can re-open
- Creches will re-open for essential workers
- Phased re-opening of non-essential shops but shopping centres to remain closed
Phase 4: 20 July
- People can travel outside of their region
- Small social gatherings with limited numbers with social distancing will be allowed
- Hairdressers, barbers, museums, galleries, places of worship, hotels and hostels will re-open with some restrictions
- Creches for non-essential workers will re-open but only one day a week to start
Phase 5: 10 August
- Bars, pubs, casinos and nightclubs, as well as shopping centres, cinemas and theatres, will re-open where social distancing can be implemented
- Close physical contact sports can be played
- Festivals may be held but with limited numbers
- Large weddings will be restricted