Fur babies welcome! 8 dog-friendly hotels in Northern Ireland to book into this summer
With staycations on the horizon this summer what could be more ‘pawfect’ than embracing Northern Ireland’s Giant Spirit with your four-legged friend coming along for the journey?
During the past year, more people than ever have been welcoming some furry friends into their family, with a surge in the number of puppies being bought across Ireland. For many of these pups, this year’s staycation will be their first time staying away from their home and owners may be fretting about the logistics of taking short breaks with their beloved pets.
Across Northern Ireland, visitors can find warm and welcoming pet-friendly accommodation. From private dog cabins to special dog treat menus, to an array of walks and trails to explore, destinations across Northern Ireland are ‘ruff’ and ready to welcome guests and their four-legged loved ones.
Discover Northern Ireland has put together the ultimate list of dog-friendly destinations for all the family to enjoy.
Dunamoy Cottages & Spa (4*), Ballyclare
- Dunamoy cottages are hand-built stone cottages, renovated from 200-year-old farm buildings nestled between Ballyclare and Ballymena on the Causeway Coast. These self-catering cottages come with living area, TV, Freeview, DVD, bathroom with bath and shower attached, fully equipped country kitchen and dining area. For timeout for you, check out their luxury spa offering. https://www.dunamoy.com/
Fullerton Arms (4*), Ballintoy
- Voted NI Dog-friendly Bar of the Year in 2016 and 2017, this guesthouse, bar and restaurant where old meets new is no stranger to a wagging tail. Fresh decor, decadent menus and casual yet friendly table service. With three of its ten deluxe bedrooms designated dog-friendly, this comfy, modern guesthouse appreciates that your pet is part and parcel of your holiday experience and stock tasty dog treats behind the bar for post-walkies rewards. The Fullerton Arms is also in an ideal location for exploring Game of Thrones® locations and Ballintoy Harbour. https://www.fullerton-arms.com/
Ballydougan Pottery Courtyard Cottages, (4*), Portadown,
- At Ballydougan Pottery Courtyard Cottages there are a number of cottages to choose from - Bramley Apple Cottage, Wheat Loft Apartment, Gaskins Grove, Dobsons Corner and Potters Cottage - all of which are pet friendly. There’s on-site pottery where you can try your hand at throwing a pot or two – can you resist throwing a food bowl for your four-legged friend? Located in a quiet, rural area convenient to Lough Neagh, there are also opportunities for dog walking at nearby Craigavon Lakes. http://www.ballydouganpottery.co.uk/cottages/
AC Hotel Belfast (4*)
- Bring up to two pets per bedroom to this riverside city centre hotel and enjoy contemporary bedrooms with thoughtful touches of luxury such as king-size beds and Nespresso coffee makers. Explore Belfast on foot or paw with Titanic Belfast, City Hall, and the shops of Victoria Square a short walk away. Why not visit dog-friendly bars such as Pug Ugly’s or the Dirty Onion? https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bfsac-ac-hotel-belfast/
Gracey’s Barn, (4*), Newry
- Gracey’s Barn offers luxurious and comfortable self-catering accommodation a stone’s throw from the beautiful Mourne Mountains & Slieve Gullion. There’s a two-bedroom refurbished barn for you, and a separate utility for your pet to sleep adjacent to your rooms, as well as generous private parking, a fully contained garden for your dog to roam freely, and a BBQ area. Babysitting can also be arranged on request and there is availability for additional sleeping facilities with a double sofa bed. http://www.graceysbarn.co.uk/
Ashbrooke House (5*), Enniskillen
- Who says a five-star Georgian House and a four-legged friend can’t mix? Located on the 1000-acre Colebrooke Estate with endless walks and trails on offer as well as art courses, horse riding, yoga retreats and a decadent hot tub for guests. Ashbrooke House presents self-catering and catered accommodation options, sleeping 16 in eight luxurious bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms. This discreetly private stately home is surrounded by beautiful landscape with rolling hills and a charming river. https://www.ashbrookehouse.com/
Finn Valley Cottages, (4*), Strabane
- Finn Valley self-catering cottages range from one bed to four-bed lodgings, are tastefully decorated throughout, accessible for guests with limited mobility and offer a long list of amenities from BBQ area to playroom. Each cottage has a self-contained utility room perfect for your pet. With hillwalking and trails through the Sperrin Mountains, there are plenty of outdoor pursuits to keep your dog entertained and exercised. The cottages have fabulous views and easy access to local facilities like fishing (salmon and trout in Rivers Finn and Mourne), cycling and golfing for your peaceful, rural-based holiday. https://finnvalleycottages.com/cottages/
Beech Hill Country House, (4*), Londonderry
- Beech Hill Country House Hotel, gloriously situated between woodland, lakes and tranquil well tended gardens, and just a short distance from the Walled City of Derry, is famed for its warm welcomes and fine food. With a dedicated pet policy best suited to the most well-behaved (and adorable) pets, you can bring your cat or dog to stay in their spacious suites and they can roam around 32 acres of woodland freely. There’s even a cheeky Pawsecco or Doggy Beer on arrival, along with a special blanket, treat and water bowl just for your pet. Dog grooming and a pet walking service are available for an additional fee. https://www.beech-hill.com/petpolicy