Claudia Winkleman Speaks Out About Fire Incident Involving Daughter 5 years ago

Claudia Winkleman Speaks Out About Fire Incident Involving Daughter

Claudia Winkleman has spoken out about the moment her daughter’s dress caught fire last Halloween.

The Strictly Come Dancing presenter was out trick or treating with her family when eight-year-old Matilda’s costume caught fire after brushing up against a candle.

The child suffered serious burns as a result of the incident and had to undergo several operations.

BOREHAMWOOD, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 02:  Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman attend the red carpet launch for "Strictly Come Dancing" 2014 at Elstree Studios on September 2, 2014 in Borehamwood, England.  (Photo by Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images)
Claudia and her Strictly co-host Tess Daly.

Claudia recalled the moment it happened to BBC One’s Watchdog. She said: “I was talking to somebody and then I just heard her scream… I turned round and that was that, she was just on fire.”

The 43-year-old added: “She went up, is the only way I know how to describe it... it was a spark and she screamed out for me.

“It was like those horrific birthday candles that you blow out and then they come back... it was really fast… We couldn’t put her out. Her tights had melted into her skin.”

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 11:  Claudia Winkleman and Kris Thykier arrive at the UK premiere of W.E.at ODEON Kensington on January 11, 2012 in London, England.  The film is released on January 20. (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images for Freud)
The presenter with her husband Kris Thykier.

Claudia urged parents to be extra careful when choosing outfits for their kids: “It’s life-changing but not life defining. It was definitely life-changing for me. I can’t remember life before it.

“I would like parents– on Halloween –to think about what they’re going to put their kids in because I didn’t, and it cost us.”