Claudia Winkleman Speaks Out About Fire Incident Involving Daughter
Claudia Winkleman has spoken out about the moment her daughter’s dress caught fire last Halloween.
The Strictly Come Dancing presenter was out trick or treating with her family when eight-year-old Matilda’s costume caught fire after brushing up against a candle.
The child suffered serious burns as a result of the incident and had to undergo several operations.
Claudia recalled the moment it happened to BBC One’s Watchdog. She said: “I was talking to somebody and then I just heard her scream… I turned round and that was that, she was just on fire.”
The 43-year-old added: “She went up, is the only way I know how to describe it... it was a spark and she screamed out for me.
“It was like those horrific birthday candles that you blow out and then they come back... it was really fast… We couldn’t put her out. Her tights had melted into her skin.”
Claudia urged parents to be extra careful when choosing outfits for their kids: “It’s life-changing but not life defining. It was definitely life-changing for me. I can’t remember life before it.
“I would like parents– on Halloween –to think about what they’re going to put their kids in because I didn’t, and it cost us.”