Diet Coke Chicken is the low-calorie recipe you need in your life right now
Still limping through the last weeks of dry January? Still counting calories and points or whatnot? You, madam, deserve a treat. And it doesn't even need to undo all your good work (so drop that takeaway menu).
What we're going to share with you now is a combination of ingredients that really shouldn't work, but mix them up in the right order and they may just change your life. Or tonight's dinner, at the very least.
Diet Coke Chicken is a one-pot wonder that's been shared and scribbled down for mates in slimming groups for years. Happily, it's a low-calorie dish that packs a tasty punch. It's also a crowd-pleaser so double the recipe and make your flatmate's day.
8 Chicken thighs or 3 chicken breasts, sliced into strips
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
240ml of chicken stock
1 can of Diet Coke (you can also use regular Coke)
130ml of tomato puree or ketchup
salt and black pepper to season
Chilli powder (if you like a bit of spice)
- Add the chicken to a deep frying pan.
- Pour in the coke, add the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a slow bubble and allow to simmer until sauce reduces down and thickens and chicken is cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve with rice or salad.