Study shows that antibacterial sprays might cause more harm than good
Some worrying results about the use of antibacterial sprays and wipes.
Most homes will have a bottle or two of antibacterial spray ready to clean up messes or general dirt and grime from the kitchen and living rooms. But, it turns out they might not be as good as they say they are.
According to The Daily Mail, one study carried out by Microbial physiologist Dr. Lynn Dover and TV doctor, Michael Mosley found that bacteria reappeared on the treated surfaces just an hour after they had been sprayed or wiped using the antibacterial products.
Even more worrying, after 12 hours the bacteria had grown dramatically on the kitchen surfaces.
They carried out the study by giving families a dedicated work surface that they were told to use as they normally would in their house, and to clean it as often as they would using the antibacterial products.
As kitchens are the perfect environment for the growth of germs, given the different foods that are prepared daily, Dr. Moseley recommends a strict policy of keeping specific chopping boards for the different food groups.
He also suggests using vinegar to clean kitchen utensils and to make sure you always wash your dish clothes and dry them out properly in between uses.