Food For Thought: A Quick Homemade Recipe For Easy-To-Make Colcannon
Kicking off your weekend, it can be hard to stay on the right eating track when you’re trying to squeeze in catch-ups, gym time and your daily to-do lists!
Each week, we’ll bring you one quick recipe with lots of health benefits. Using common ingredients you’ll find in the fridge, press (or local shop at a push!), take the hassle out of home-cooking with this fast meal.
This week… we’re giving you a taste of home comforts with a quick and easy recipe for colcannon.
A quick and tasty meal, that’ll remind you of Mammy’s cooking…
- 1kg potatoes, cut down into chunks
- 100g butter
- 140g sliced back bacon, finely chopped
- 1 small Savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 150ml double cream
- Boil the potatoes into a large saucepan of water. Leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes until skin is tender when pierced.
- Using 25g of butter in a saucepan, then fry off the bacon and half the cabbage for 5 minutes. Take off the hob.
- Using a colander, drain the potatoes and peel while still hot. Mash potatoes until smooth.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the cream with the remaining butter and, when almost boiling, beat into the potato mash.
- Add bacon and cabbage to the mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.Recipe via Good Foods