Met Éireann's pollen forecast this weekend is very grim for hay fever sufferers
Tissues at the ready.
If hay fever is currently wrecking your head, be sure to take care over the weekend as the grass pollen count rises to its highest levels nationwide.
Grass pollen will be the dreaded 'Very High' pretty much across the board in Leinster, Munster and Connaught across Saturday and Sunday, with a slightly downgraded 'High' register in Ulster.
Met Éireann warns people to expect high to very high grass pollen during warm, dry weather but it will be a touch more moderate in sea breezes on the coast at times.
Weed pollen - nettle, plantain, dock as the main allergens - will also rise to high over the weekend.
Spores, meanwhile, will rise to a high level during humid conditions in the early hours of the morning.
Don't worry too much about trees, though, as tree pollen season is in decline and "shouldn't trouble anyone now" according to Met Éireann.
As for a general Saturday weather forecast, look forward to a warm day with afternoon highs of 18 to 23°C.
In the meantime, here's some handy expert tips for anyone prone to hay fever.
Susan O’Dwyer, a renowned pharmacist with Boots, has the following advice:
- Stay on top of pollen by vacuuming and damp dusting to stop pollen settling and spreading
- Use an allergy barrier to get on top of hayfever before it begins
- Try rubbing a small amount of petroleum jelly inside your lower nostril to stop pollen entering the nasal passage
- Reduce airborne allergens at home and use a humidifier, as moist air will catch particles
- If you’ve been out and about, change your clothes and even shower to remove pollen and avoid spreading it
- A pair of wraparound sunglasses is great way to keep pollen out of your eyes
- If you’re driving keep your windows up and switch your air to circulate
- Consider using an anti-inflammatory nasal spray
- If your eyes are affected by hayfever, eye drops can help soothe them
- Antihistamines have different ingredients, if one tablet isn't working for you, consider swapping to another type