Owner shares heartbreaking warning about rope toys after golden retriever dies 1 year ago

Owner shares heartbreaking warning about rope toys after golden retriever dies

A dog owner has warned others to be careful after her beloved pet died after swallowing a rope toy.

Indira Tuckler said that though they may look "extremely sturdy and impossible to destroy", a rope toy cost her golden retriever her life.

Advertisement

The woman left her dogs playing with the toy, a length of rope knotted into a ball at the end, but came back to find that it had been torn to shreds.

"I quickly threw them away hoping none of the dogs swallowed the pieces. Unfortunately one of our dogs was not so lucky," she wrote on Facebook.

The animal had eaten pieces of the rope, which made their way through her digestive system.

The pieces unraveled inside her, tearing holes in her intestines as she tried to pass them.

Vets removed three feet of rope from the dog and were also forced to remove parts of her intestine.

Sadly, the damage killed her.

Advertisement

"We did not even have the option of having another surgery," Indira continued.

"She quickly became septic and bled from her intestines into her stomach.

"The damage from the rope was so extensive that she passed away two days later."

Linear objects are among the most dangerous things a dog can swallow, she added.

"This was a senseless and avoidable death.

Advertisement

"These items should not be sold for dogs."