Teenage girl dies after dropping mobile phone into bath 2 years ago

Teenage girl dies after dropping mobile phone into bath

A teenage girl in Russia had died after she dropped her mobile phone into the bath she was in.

The schoolgirl, 14, died as a result of an electric shock according to local media reports.


Yulia Vysotskaya was sitting in the bath with her phone charging and listening to music at her home in in Cheboksary near Moscow.

It is understood that she dropped the phone, which sent an electrical current through the water.

Medical sources say she was electrocuted and knocked unconscious before drowning in the bath, reports the Independent.

Her parents found her and called emergency services but paramedics were unable to save her.

The teenager was pronounced dead at the scene.

Authorities have opened a forensic investigation to try and establish how exactly the girl died.


The tragedy is the third incident of its kind in Russia in the past year involving teenage girls.

A 15-year-old girl in Bratzk, Siberia died while using her phone in the bath in December.

Earlier in the year a 12 year-old girl in Moscow lost her life in a similar incident.

There have been repeated warnings about using phones in the bath.

"Relaxing in a bathroom with your mobile phone plugged is like playing Russian roulette," electronics engineer Andrey Stanovsky said.