Martin Compston says Line of Duty will be 'better than ever' when it returns for season six
Martin Compston has promised Line of Duty will be "better than ever" when it returns for season six.
Filming of the highly anticipated sixth season of Jed Mercurio's police thriller was stopped earlier this month due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
And while Compston said that his character Steve Arnott's "waistcoat has been put away" , the show will be "back at some point" to get them finished.
"I'm in daily contact with the guys, it's crazy time," he said during a video interview on Good Morning Britain.
"But the scripts this year... I keep waiting every year, 'This isn't going to be the year that [creator] Jed [Mercurio] doesn't deliver', but again, they just seem better than ever. We will be back at some point again to get them finished and I hope they'll be back bigger and better and longer!"
View this post on Instagram
The actor lives in Las Vegas, where his wife and her family are from - and recalled how he had been at home in the UK learning his lines for the week ahead when the travel restrictions were announced.
"The news came through that Trump had suspended all flights from the UK, so I think within 12 hours I was on a flight. So, I just made it back by the skin of my teeth. It was bit of a hairy journey over . . . but eventually they got us home," he said.
"I've spent probably 14 of the last 16 months on the road and you realise how important it is to have a support network around you. It was important that my wife had a family around her - and the weather's not bad either!"
It was announced on March 16 that production on the sixth season of Line of Duty had been suspended.
"In light of the spread of Covid-19, after much consideration, @worldprods are suspending filming of #LineofDuty S6 with the support of the BBC," it said.
"We will keep you updated with further developments in due course. Thank you".