These belly-warming winter soups are actually really good for you
Alright, hands up who's freezing today?
It's been a very nippy week here in Dublin and all around the country too. This cold weather and the threat of a flu epidemic means all we want for dinner is healthy, hearty and warm dishes.
Enter these two great soups from Lidl brand ambassador and chef Paul Flynn.
They're easy to make, scrumptious and healthy too.
So, if you're stuck deciding what to make for dinner tonight then give one of these recipes a bash.
Paul Flynn Spiced Pea and Avocado soup
1 packet Petit Pois peas (700g)
1 packet / 2 ready to eat avocados (320g) peeled and diced
1 chicken stock cube
1 ½ litres water
½ green chilli deseeded and diced
4 tbsp low-fat natural yoghurt
½ tsp mild curry powder
Salt and pepper (seasoning)
- Bring the peas, chicken stock cube and water up to the boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the yoghurt with the curry powder.
- Add to the Nutrition Mixer and blend the soup with the chilli and avocado. Season and serve with the yoghurt dotted on top.
Paul Flynn Tomato and Roasted Garlic Soup with Rosemary and Orange
Serves 2 generously
2 tins of chopped tomatoes (2x400g)
2 cloves of garlic (14g) peeled and thinly sliced
1 tbsp honey (12g)
½ tsp paprika
Juice of ½ an orange
½ a chicken stock cube
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper
- Cook the garlic very gently over a low heat until lightly golden.
- Add the tomatoes and chicken stock cube and bring to a simmer.
- While the temperature rises, add the paprika, honey, orange and rosemary and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove the rosemary and season. Let it cool and add to Nutrition Mixer and blend.