An update on Supermarket Sweep reboot has been issued after Dale Winton's death 1 month ago

An update on Supermarket Sweep reboot has been issued after Dale Winton's death

He originally hosted the show from 1993 to 2000.

The Supermarket Sweep reboot is said to be still moving ahead following the death of the show's original presenter, Dale Winton.

Winton's agent confirmed on Wednesday that he had passed away from an undisclosed illness at his London home, which led to an outpouring of tributes to the beloved presenter.

He was 62 years old.

The tragic news came after it was announced late last year that FremantleMedia had purchased the rights to the day time game show's format in the hopes of rebooting it.

The original game show consisted of three teams all vying for cash prizes by drawing on their shopping skills and expert knowledge of grocery merchandise.

The show concluded with its iconic trolley dash through the aisles - where teams could also pick-up bonus inflatable fruit.

Advertisement

It was not confirmed at the time whether Winton, who fronted the show from 1993 to 2000, would be a part of the reboot.

A spokesperson for the TV giant told The Mirror that they had only purchased the rights to the series, and there were no talent on-air agreements included.

They added that "discussions are ongoing" to continue the reboot.

The representative of Fremantle Media continued:

"We are very sad to hear the news about Dale Winton, he was a huge star who always put his fans first.

"He was very close friend of many at FremantleMedia and our thoughts are with his loved ones at this time."