Connacht rugby call for review after changing room incident
An apology has also been issued.
Connacht women's rugby is calling for a review to be carried out after their team was forced to change in "disgusting" conditions at Energia Park last weekend.
Ahead of their clash with Ulster in an inter-pro game, a video went viral on social media of the conditions they were left to change in, looking like it was in a derelict area with wheelie bins and claims of rats running around.
The IRFU and Leinster Rugby have released a joint statement apologising for the incident, claiming the area provided for them to change was "unacceptable."
The Connacht squad has since released a statement of their own expressing how upset the incident has made them.
Just got sent this
Absolutely disgusting and disgraceful that the Connacht women had to get changed with the rats for the #WomensInterpros today
I've walked lyrical about this tournament but to see this I'm horrified
I'm lost for words at this
Equally Saddened & infuriated pic.twitter.com/Wh1cvBQbdg
— The 2nd Row (@the2ndRow) September 11, 2021
"We are very disappointed and upset by the facilities that were provided for us to change both pre and post-match and for our post-match meal," the squad said in a statement on Wednesday afternoon.
"The location was not suitable for the purpose.
"We pride ourselves on representing Connacht Rugby in a professional manner both on and off the pitch. We did our best to perform on the day, despite this situation, but these circumstances were far from the standards we would expect for this level of our sport.
"We acknowledge the apology issued by the IRFU and Leinster Rugby earlier this week. We sincerely hope that something like this will never happen again, for any team."
They then proceeded to ask that a review of the decision to allow this to happen was carried out and that it will be avoided for future events.
🚨 | #LeinsterRugby are aware of an issue regarding Season Ticket packs that have not been received by supporters and are investigating it as a matter of urgency. We will update all Season Ticket holders via email as soon as possible.
— Leinster Rugby (@leinsterrugby) September 13, 2021
"We would request that a review of the decision-making process which led to these circumstances be conducted and our hope is that more thought will go into decisions like this for the women’s game in the future," they wrote.
"We would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the support we have received from Connacht Rugby this season. We are all working together to improve Women’s rugby in the province and throughout Ireland.
"We believe that every province is doing the same. Great progress has been made this season with all the women’s interpro games televised by TG4 and Vodafone coming on board as a sponsor of the series is a massive step in the right direction.
"However, the circumstances on Saturday highlight there is still much work to be done.
"More young girls got to see women's rugby on TG4 over the last three weeks and hopefully we have inspired them to take up the game and fall in love with the sport that we love."
The IRFU told the Irish Independent yesterday that they will be conducting a review and it is underway.