Prince Harry and Prince William say 'offensive' article about their relationship is 'false'
Prince Harry and Prince William have said that an "offensive" article published about their relationship is "false."
Reuters reports that the Duke of Sussex and Duke of Cambridge have denied the details of a story published in a UK newspaper today.
The story cited an unnamed source who claimed that Prince Harry had been pushed out of the family by the "bullying attitude" of William.
"Despite clear denials, a false story ran in a UK newspaper today speculating about the relationship between The Duke of Sussex and The Duke of Cambridge," said spokespeople for the princes.
"For brothers who care so deeply about the issues surrounding mental health, the use of inflammatory language in this way is offensive and potentially harmful."
A joint statement from the spokespeople of Prince William and Prince Harry: pic.twitter.com/H8hqYCHirK
— Omid Scobie (@scobie) January 13, 2020
Rumours around the brothers' allegedly strained relationship have been rife for many months, as speculation surrounding Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's intention to step away from the royal family grew.
The couple announced just last week that they were indeed stepping down as senior royals, opting to spend their time split between the UK and the US.
The Queen will meet with Prince Harry, Prince William, and Prince Charles to discuss further plans to today. Meghan is expected to join via telephone from Canada.
Harry and Meghan announced their decision to step down as senior members of the royal family last week.
In a statement issued via Instagram, they said that they wanted to work towards becoming "financially independent."
“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution," they said.
"We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen."
It is believed that The Queen was not aware of the announcement before it was issued.
Buckingham Palace have said that discussions with the Duke and Duchess are "at an early stage."
"We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through," they said.