Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have officially split their royal household 2 months ago

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have officially split their royal household

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have officially split their royal households from Kate Middleton and Prince William.

The news that the royal couples were planning to break up their joint "court" at Kensington Palace was first reported late last year.

Queen Elizabeth is said to have agreed to the creation of a new household for the Sussexes, with Prince Charles also supporting the move.

meghan and harryThe household will be set up in the spring, most likely after the birth of the couple's first child.

A statement from the palace said:

“The Queen has agreed to the creation of a new Household for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, following their marriage in May last year.

"The Household, which will be created with the support of The Queen and The Prince of Wales, will be established in the spring.

"The Duke of Sussex currently has his own private office, which has been supporting The Duchess since Their Royal Highness' engagement in November 2017.

"This long-planned move will ensure that permanent support arrangements for The Duke and Duchess’s work are in place as they start their family and move to their official residence at Frogmore Cottage."

Meghan and Harry

While Meghan and Harry will be moving to Frogmore Cottage in Windsor later this spring, their office will also be moving - out of Kensington Palace and into Buckingham Palace.

Their new communications staff will be part of the Buckingham Palace communications team, reporting to the Queen's Communications Secretary Donal McCade.

According to royal reporter Omid Scobie, Sara Latham - a former advisor on Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign - has been appointed to head communications for the Sussexes.

Prince William and Kate Middleton's office will remain in Kensington Palace.

meghan markle

The news comes days after Meghan made her final official public appearance before starting her maternity leave.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex attended a Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey on Monday.

Buckingham Palace has said that Meghan does not "currently have any more official engagements scheduled", however she is set to attend "several private meetings".